Since we started our KDP journey we have run across a few free kdp tools and resources that we want to share with you today. All of the tools we recommend are free or have a free aspect of the program, and a few have optional Pro upgrades.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission.
Free KDP Tools And Resources
For those of you in a hurry you can just skim the links in this section. If you want to learn more then keep reading after the list.
This list is in no particular order.
1. Ilovepdf.com Free
2. Canva Free but has a Pro program
3. Inkscape Free
4. Creative Fabrica Free and Paid. Has an “All Access” Program
5. Pixabey Free and Paid
6. AMZ Suggestion Expander Free
7. Self Publishing Titans Free
8. Amazon Book Sales Calculator Free Added 2/3/22
9. Amazon KDP Cover Templates Free Added 2/3/22
10. Print Friendly Free Added 2/13/22
11. Convertio Free Added 2/14/22
1. Ilovepdf.com is the best PDF converter we have seen. They allow large files which is great for converting those large KDP templates. Anything regarding PDF’s can be taken care of with this FREE tool. Merge PDFs. Check. Convert PDFs in to other formats. Check. Compress PDFs. Check. And it does SO much more.
2. Canva: is one of the top designing platforms on the web right now. You can design just about anything you need with graphics. We can not stop raving about how awesome this platform is and you do so much with the free plan.
We absolutely suggest upgrading if you plan on using Canva daily or even multiple times per week. You get so much more value and it is really not that expensive at $12.99 per month.
It certainly adds up if you have multiple subscriptions to other things, but by itself the price is astounding low. We use it to create pins, Instagram posts, KDP book covers and interiors. It can also be used for posters, books, presentations, logos, marketing, print on demand (POD), invitations, and so much more. It can be used for both online or offline graphics!
3. Inkscape: We like to describe this program as Adobe Illustrators FREE cousin. It does not do everything that Adobe Illustrator does but at the price of FREE it does what we need it to do. Our favorite feature is it’s “Trace Bitmap” option which helps us to design coloring books. This feature alone is worth adobe’s high price but with Inkscape this is completely FREE. It does take a little time and a few training videos to use effectively but adding this skill is well worth the time. You download Inkscape to your computer.
4. Creative Fabrica: Omgoodness this site is our latest obsession. Graphics galore! This program has a freebies section that is well worth it for KDP books. Free layouts and designs. Depending on the product, these are fully editable and customizable graphics.
The cool part is you can download the files directly to Canva.
Note: You will need Canva Pro to be able to use and download the fonts and multiple files at once.
Now this program is a mostly paid site and you can buy products individually, but they have an “All Access” program that is beyond worth it, the best part is you can try it out right now for $1 dollar for the whole month. And just in case it was not clear with “All Access” that means you get to download anything on the site for that month. You can get a lot done in one month.
It is $19.99 a month after that. Not a bad price especially if you need access to all kinds of templates and graphics. And like we mentioned you can get lot done in those months!
If you do not need access to graphics then stick with the “Freebies” section. We won’t judge!
5. Pixabay.com: Another cool free graphics site. This website is mostly free photos, but there are a few vector graphics as well.
We do know that there is a paid part of this program but we have never felt the need to pay for anything…yet. That does not mean there won’t come a time to make a purchase, but in two years, across two websites, we have not needed to make a purchase with the free amount of photos available.
AMZ Suggestion Expander
6. AMZ Suggestion Expander: This is a chrome browser extension that allows you to see all keywords associated with a search term on Amazon. That means that terms that people actually search for are shown to you all at once. No more guessing!
This is very important for your research on profitable keywords and therefore profitable books/products on Amazon.
Self Publishing Titans
7. Self Publishing Titans (SPT): This is another Chrome browser extension. It shows you the profitability of search terms on Amazon.
Caution: it sometimes takes awhile to populate the information. This is do to the fact that is searching through ALL the data on Amazon. While a great tool, it has frustrated us with its sometimes REALLY slow speeds. You need an abundance of patience with this tool.
Amazon Book Sales Calculator
8. Amazon Book Sales Calculator: “BSR to Sales Calculator” by tckpublishing.com
Use the calculator to estimate how many sales any eBook or print book on Amazon is currently selling just by looking at its listing on Amazon. Go to the product page of any book on amazon and get the BSR and plug it in to the calculator.
BSR: Stands for “Best Seller’s Rank” on Amazon.
KDP Paperback Cover Templates
9. Paperback Book Cover Template: Perhaps the overall most useful one on this list as the cover is the wrapping that goes around your book and it is what your customers first see. Use the dropdown menu to pick the size of your book and then add the total amount of pages.
10. Print Friendly is a chrome browser extension that saves any Webpage as a PDF file. This comes in handy if you are turning blog posts in to books. It prints the page without the navigation details and ads on your site. It allows you to edit out anything you don’t want on the PDF like text, links, or images. Print Friendly keeps all the links live (unless you delete them) so that they are still clickable.
Convertio.co is a file converter. In this case, the part of the tool we are recommending for kdp is Convertio’s page to convert PDF’s to the EPUB file format saving you a ton of time. You can go directly to the page, or Convertio also offers a chrome browser extension.
Well that is it for now. We will make sure to update this page as more programs come across our laps.
As lovers of all things free we wanted to note that we personally use everything on the list so the programs have been tested!
As you can see, there are several free tools that are at your disposal. We believe it does not have to take a lot of money to get started with Kindle Direct Publishing(KDP). We absolutely believe in free tools and this list will get you started.
Note: In some cases free only gets you so far before you will need to upgrade (like in the case of Canva), but there is so much you can do for free. Give the programs a try and let us know what you think.
Are there any free KDP tools and resources you would like to see added to this list? Let us know in the comments below.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our mailing list for updates, freebies, and more!
You can create your free starter account here to see if it’s a good fit for you.
Need more information? Read